Providing Honest, Reliable Business Counsel For 29 Years

Guidance For Green Zones And Other Zoning Concerns

A requisite component to creating a licensed cannabis business is securing physical premises that are compliant with zoning and land use requirements. Chernis Law Group P.C. represents clients regarding these issues, including sensitive use of buffers and co-location of licenses as well as lease negotiations and drafting, both on the landlord and tenant side. With more than 12 years of experience, Michael S. Chernis, the firm’s founding attorney, is one of Southern California’s longest-practicing cannabis attorneys. We regularly represent clients throughout Los Angeles and Orange counties.

What Is A Green Zone?

Along with many other states, California restricts the sale of cannabis products near certain sensitive use areas – for example, near schools and youth centers. “Green zone” is a popular term for an area in which the state and locale allows cannabis businesses to cultivate and/or distribute cannabis products. Even if a municipality has not set a formal boundary for a green zone, its regulations are often strict enough to serve the purpose. Before seeking to acquire a property for a license application, it is important to ensure that the property is in the local green zone.

Resolving Disputes Between Landlords And Tenants

As a cannabis lawyer, Mr. Chernis has often been asked to assist either the property owner or the tenant (in drafting a lease to address the unique usage and maximize legal protections for our client. Landlords often consult with him to evaluate the cost and benefits associated with leasing to a cannabis tenant and to ensure they are protected against unknown risks. .

Get Legal Guidance To Stay In The Green Zone

When it comes to remaining in compliance with zoning regulations, you can turn to Chernis Law Group P.C., for counsel. Mr. Chernis is more than capable of helping your company thrive within the boundaries of an appropriate green zone. To set up a consultation, please call 310-558-2346 or send him an email.